Have you been thinking you always wanted to try a fun
run/walk but don’t think you can?
The truth is once you decide to do it you have made the first step and we will help get you get to the finish line.
Health benefits of running and jogging.
Regular running or jogging offers many health benefits. Running can:
- help to build strong bones, as it is a weight bearing exercise
- strengthen muscles
- improve cardiovascular fitness
- burn plenty of kilojoules
- help maintain a healthy weight.
- getting outside, being outside has huge benefits for your frame of mind and mental health.
Running versus jogging
The difference between running and jogging is intensity. Running is faster, uses more kilojoules and demands more effort from the heart, lungs and muscles than jogging. Running requires a higher level of overall fitness than jogging.
Both running and jogging are awesome forms of aerobic exercise. Aerobic means 'with oxygen' – the term 'aerobic exercise' means any physical activity that produces energy by combining oxygen with blood glucose or body fat.
Goal setting for running and jogging
Think about what you want to achieve from running or jogging. Issues to consider may include:
- Getting fit – if you're a beginner, you should start with brisk walking, progress to jogging and work up to running. This should take a few months.
- General fitness – mix your running with other forms of exercise (Strength Training, Hiit or Get Fit Classes) to maximise your overall fitness.
- Weight loss – adjust your diet to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, wholegrain cereals and low-fat dairy products. Cut back on dietary fats, takeaway foods, soft drinks and sugar.
- Companionship – you could run with a friend.
- Competition –The Alice Springs Running Walking Club has many events both social and competitive. Most clubs have sessions designed for beginners through to advanced runners. You can put your running skills against others in fun runs or even marathons. They have many community-based running events cater for people of all ages and abilities. Check out their event calendar for more information
Tags: fun run alice springs running walking club get physical